Sunday, April 5, 2009

Mathematical Genuis

My sister recently found this old family video from 1986 when my family first moved to New Hampshire. My Grandpa and Grandma (Dad's parents) came up to visit us with their new video camera.

In the video you will see my older brother and sister sitting at a picnic table playing cards with my Grandma. Sandie and Melanie make a brief cameo, and Tommy was not yet born. I come and sit next to my sister Merry. Yes, that is me in the pigtails and big glasses. The end of the video is the reason for this post. My grandpa introduces me as the "mathematical genius". Ha! Even at only 6 years old my talent in math was obvious. I wonder if my Grandpa ever knew just how true that statement would be. Grandpa passed away 10 years after this video was made, in 1996, and does not know I went on to receive a Bachelors in Math and am now pursuing my Masters in Applied Mathematics. I look forward to the day I see him again and can tell him what I've accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment