Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Book Review: Septimus Heap Book 1: Magyk

Septimus Heap Book 1 : Magyk
by Angie Sage

Rating: 4.5 stars out of 5
"I really like it"

This book was recommended to me by my sister Merry (Mother and Dragon-Tamer Extraordinaire). Merry always recommends excellent books.

Magyk tells the story of the Heap family. Silas, the father, is the 7th son in his own family, he is now married to Sarah and about to have his own 7th son. Thus making Septimus Heap the 7th son of the 7th son which, as any fantasy fan will tell you, means he holds extreme magical powers. Except Septimus dies within hours of birth and is carried off by the nurse maid.

On the same night the Queen gives birth to a princess and heir to the thrown. Unfortunately an Assassin is sent after the Queen and her daughter and manages to kill the Queen. Fortunately the ExtraOrdinary Wizard and his apprentice are making a visit to the Queen and the apprentice is able to save the baby princess, escaping with her and delivering her to the Heap family to take care of. Jenna, the Queenling, is raised as a member of the Heap family and has no idea of her heritage.

I don't think I'm going to ruin any plot if I say it's obvious that Septimus is not dead (or why would the book be named after him?). So the rest of the book is how Jenna and Septimus discover who they are and come together to fight off the evil Wizard DomDaniel who is trying to finish off the princess since the job was not done right at birth.

It's definitely a book for young readers, but I really enjoyed it just the same. I like that Sage treats magyk with respect. It has rules and conditions--I just like what she's created. I will most definitely be reading the rest of the series!

next book: The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde

1 comment:

  1. Sounds interesting. i will add it to my list. WE actually read The Eyre Affair last month for our book club. I can't wait to hear what you think. :)

    ReplyDelete