Often when I am making an important decision in my life I remember back to an extra credit assignment I did in one of my undergrad classes at the UW. It was 2005 and I was taking Etymology. I must admit I loved that class.
Our assignment was to research the etymology, or the history of word parts, of the word 'consider'. Here is what I came up with.
CON | SIDER
‘Con-‘ comes from the prefix ‘com-‘ meaning together, with, or thoroughly.
‘Sider’ or ‘sidus’ is the stem meaning heavenly body.
Put these two ideas together and we form the word whose own history suggests the idea of doing something 'with God'. I loved this idea and have reflected back on it many times.
Having just pointed this out I leave you with a few scriptures for you to consider on your own.
Mosiah 2: 41
And moreover, I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God. For behold, they are blessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual; and if they hold out faithful to the end they are received into heaven, that thereby they may dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness. O remember, remember that these things are true; for the Lord God hath spoken it.
Isa. 41: 20
That they may see, and know, and consider, and understand together, that the hand of the Lord hath done this, and the Holy One of Israel hath created it.
Job 37: 14
Hearken unto this, O Job: stand still, and consider the wondrous works of God.
Hag. 1: 7
Thus saith the Lord of hosts; Consider your ways.
i really like this--i had no idea such a simple word had such great meaning. thanks for this post!
ReplyDelete