Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Smell of Spring

These last few days have been fabulous. The sun was shinning. Warm clear skies. The smell of Springtime in the air. I could not help myself but get outside and taste the moment.

Spring makes me think of many things, among my favorites are reading while lying in the sun, taking vacations/road trips, swimming, and the fact that King Kone is now open for business.

What is King Kone you ask? A small soft serve ice cream hut on D-W Hwy in the town of Merrimack, New Hampshire where I grew up. Best soft serve ice cream you'll ever find. King Kone is known for their proportions. Small, Medium, Large, and Jumbo. A small is surely not "small" by any means. I ordered a Jumbo once, it was impossible to eat before it melted away. The jumbo is so tall (approx 1 foot of ice cream above the cone) they have to bring it out the side door because it will not fit through the window.

They have all the regular flavors you would expect: vanilla, chocolate, swirl... but in addition there would always be a couple more special flavors that would come and go. You can get your ice cream dipped in different flavors that would harden into a shell. Or my own favorite, dipped in rainbow jimmies (aka sprinkles for the non-New Englanders).

Oh the memories... I love that place.

My new location offers some excellent ice cream as well. Theno's Dairy is not far away and is recently reopened for business. I have a hankering to get over there soon. Sadly the weather forecast tells me my sun days are over for a couple weeks. Perhaps I'll wait so I can properly enjoy Theno's ice cream in some warm weather. Any takers?

3 comments:

  1. of course! i'm craving some lemon chiffon. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. good times!!! banana berry swirl from king kone.......yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer (that's my story) BApril 13, 2009 at 12:11 AM

    Do you know how much the prices have increased there? :( A small used to be 65 cents, but I am pretty sure the last time I went there, it was over a dollar! I'll have to make sure to hit it up when I'm home for my brother's wedding. I do love their krunchies!

    ReplyDelete