Sunday, May 31, 2009

Book Review: The Blue Sword

The Blue Sword
by Robin McKinley

Rating: 5 starts out of 5
"it was amazing"

This is my all time favorite book! I know I call a lot of things my favorite, but this one actually is. I've read it more times than any other book I own (apart from my scriptures). I guess I cheated a little this time and got the audio version at the library. Even still, now that it is over all too soon I cannot help but want to start the book all over again.

Harry Crewe is on her way to the border of Daria to live closer to her brother, her only remaining family. However Richard is in the military and cannot properly take care of her, so she stays in the home of Sir Charles and Lady Amelia. Just north of the Homeland lies Damar where Corlath is King of the Hillfolk. Stories and legends of magic float around about the Hillfolk and no one knows exactly what to believe about them. Mostly Damar keeps to itself.

Corlath pays a visit to Sir Charles and a few other leaders in the area to request aid against the Northerners who are preparing to go to battle. Daria refuses aid unless Corlath is willing to turn his entire country over to Daria rule. Corlath refuses this and starts his journey home empty handed. Just as he is storming out Corlath makes eye contact with Harry. After this he cannot get Harry out of his mind. He knows he needs her and must go back for her. Corlath does possess a certain amount of 'magic' known as kelar. Corlath returns and kidnaps Harry during the night (against his better judgment as a good and honest king) because his kelar demanded it of him.

Even though she has been kidnapped Harry is treated with respect as the special guest of the King. For dinner one evening she drinks from the Water of Sight and has a vision of war. Corlath then begins to understand why he needs her. She is immediately trained for combat in war. Within 6 weeks Harry enters the Laprun Trials and pretty much kicks everyone’s trash. The people love her and immediately begin to call her the Damalur-sol, or Lady Hero. Damar has found a new hope again.

I think I love this book so much because Harry is everything I dreamed of being as a child. My daydreams and fantasies and 'playing pretend' with my sister were all about being this type of character. Only McKinley creates a more vivid world than any I imagined.

Several of you will already know this, but I am on a hunt for The Blue Sword. Every time I visit a sword shop or medieval fair I look for a sword that fits the description of Gonturan from the book. I have as yet to find what I am looking for. When I have a bit more money to toss around I plan on having it custom made. I will then hang it over my mantel for display when I'm not playing with it. Gonturan will then be passed down to a daughter, for only a woman can wield this sword.

No comments:

Post a Comment