Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Oooo, Shiny!

I like cars.

Particularly shiny fast ones.

Even more than that, I like cars with men in them.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. Tonight my dad reminded me of a story I've not heard in a while. Many years ago my family was living in Florida and had decided to take a road trip to visit the grandparents. At some point along the way we pulled over for a rest when my dad stood me up on the hood and I took my very first steps ever across the hood of that car to my mother on the other side.

Why is this important? Mostly because I now know how to walk from that experience. And walk I have. Too much recently as I've given myself shin splints, but that is another story. This experience is also important because even as I took my first steps I was staking my claim: on cars. I love cars.

I personally think you can tell something of an individual’s personality by what they choose to drive. I often ask after cars when getting to know someone new. And then I permanently relate that person to their car in my mind.

When I see David I think Mustang. Alan, Porsche. Keri, you are still a Mini Cooper in my mind, I can’t seem to transition to your new car yet. Erin, Chevy Trucks. Correction: BIG Chevy Trucks. Ric, Pontiac GTO. Erica, Jeeps. And the newest addition: Jason, Dodge Charger (which I will be getting my ride in this weekend!).

Now I’m curious , does anyone else relate cars to personalities and friends?

Along with loving cars, I love to see others love their own cars. You can often notice this in the way someone talks about their car, or treats it, or keeps it clean. Or the way they look at it after driving them to their car after carpooling somewhere. I’m happy to know my friends’ cars are loved.

so not my car, but I like riding in it
(and I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy driving it too, hint hint!)

1 comment: