Wildwood Dancingby Juliet Marillier
rating: 5 starts out of 5
"it was amazing"
This is one of my favorite books. I first read it last summer while visiting my older sister Merry (dragon tamer and mother extraordinaire) upon her recommendation.
Jena is the "sensible one" among the 5 sisters and is left in charge of her fathers business for the winter while he travels to warmer climates for health reasons. The eldest, Tati, is known as the "beatiful one" and is also left in charge. It is not long before things start to go amiss and their domineering cousin, Cesar, starts to take over. Cesar is a man and does not believe a woman capable of handling money and the accounts of business. (He makes me so mad every time I read this!) Jena and her sisters find their escape in the Other Kingdom. Each full moon they sneak through a secret portal to Dancing Glade in the Fairy Kingdom and dance the evening away with the likes of dwarves and trolls, witches and scholars.
The main reason I love this book so much is for the world Juliet Marillier creates. It feels real enough to touch. I love how strong a character Jena is through the hard times. There are 2 romantic relationships that form during this book. I enjoy comparing each as we see them form and observing how each sister reacts. Tati has a bit of a silly relationship, they looked at each other and were in love. Tati then immediately starts making stupid choices "for love". Poppycock. The other relationship is strong and grows over years of close friendship and mutual trust.
I feel like I relate to the sensible sister a bit more.
No comments:
Post a Comment