I have odd friends. Perhaps that is the best preface I can give this story. Last weekend a friend of mine, to protect his privacy lets call him ...Weasel, called me on the phone.
Weasel: Do you have plans next weekend? It's Friday the 13th.
Me: I don't think I do, why?
Weasel: Because I think it would be really funny if you found a date with a guy named Jason on Friday the 13th!!! [insert crazed laugh].
Me: What...?
Weasel: No really. And if you do I will finance the first $50 of your date! But you must tell him the reason you are asking him out is because his name is Jason and it's Friday the 13th!
Apparently Weasel gets a kick out of stuff like this, it's his own little form of "entertainment". Well I'm not one to back down from the challenge so I set out to find myself a Jason. (For those of you who may be unaware of the connection between Friday the 13th and the name Jason please reference here).
I immediately became aware of the serious lack of Jason's in my life. Most that I know are married or else live outside of the state. This narrowed the list down quickly to 2 individuals. The first, Jason B., is a friend, but not one I am going to spend my Friday night with. So I opted for Jason T. instead. Unfortunately there was one small snag in the plan. I'd never actually talked to Jason T. before. I only knew who he was as we attend the same ward at church. This made the phone call just a little more interesting...
Me: Hi Jason, this is Windy from church... um, do you know who I am?
To my relief he did.
Luckily Jason T. has a sense of humor about the whole Jason-Friday the 13th thing and agreed to go out with me. After arranging schedules we made plans to meet up for dessert, followed by a movie.
When Friday evening rolled around I found myself slightly nervous, this felt more like a blind date since I really didn't know Jason at all. Well, to make a long story short(er) dessert was nice, it gave us a chance to talk a bit and get to know each other before heading out to the movie. We ended up seeing Taken (Liam Neeson was fabulous, overall an intense and fun movie, but just a tad bit on the gory side for me). Afterward we hung around just talking for a while. I was happy to find out that Jason is an interesting guy and fun to talk with. He's into cars, music, reading and religion. 4 of my own personal favorite topics.
When all is said and done I had a lot of fun and I'm glad to have found a new friend out of this odd story.
I always admire your bravery in taking on these awesome challenges, what an interesting way to meet new people. Too bad boys are still so scarry to me.
ReplyDelete