Saturday, October 10, 2009

Third Times the Charm

Note: The events of this blog post took place one week, three hours, ten minutes and thirty-four seconds ago.

One of the most amazing experiences of my life happened at 13,000 feet as I stepped out of a plane into the open air.

The first time I experienced this was for my 29th birthday. I did a tandem dive with a few friends.

The second time was exactly 1 week later when Jason and I returned for the day-long class and jumped out on our own. Yes. I had my own parachute, pulled my own rip chord and did everything just right... up until I came in for my landing and, well, it was slightly ungraceful. I ended up with a minor tear in my MCL and on crutches. No fear, this did not stop my desire to go again.

The third time was just last weekend with a few new friends, 2 of them celebrating birthdays of their own. I must say it was even better this time! I went tandem again, to be on the safe side, and because this allowed me to go with my friends as well. This time I knew what to expect, I knew how everything worked, I didn't have to worry about my own landing. All I did was sit back and enjoy the ride.

The most thrilling part is the moment I left the safety of the plane and began to free fall. I cannot describe this, you must experience it for yourself. 13,000 feet is above the clouds, it's amazing to be there, in the sky, above a cloud. However we did not remain above the clouds for long. We quickly approached a small cloud and then went right through it. I've touched a cloud! It feels just like air, only slightly thicker air, if that makes sense. Breaking through suddenly we saw the beauty of the Northwest all around. Mountains, lakes, trees, airplane hangar. My friend Keri described this as "God's view" of the Earth.

Free fall lasts about 50 to 60 seconds before they pull the chute. Dennis, my tandem instructor, gave me a little tap on the shoulders to let me know just before he pulled the rip chord. Whoosh! We slow down and my legs come flying down back under me again. Once flying under canopy we are going slow enough to talk and Dennis points out some of the surrounding areas before handing me the toggles and letting me steer for a little bit. One hard pull to the left and we go swirling to the left--another sensation you'll just have to experience! After a couple minutes floating through the air we slide in for a smooth landing on the grass. (One day I'll figure out how to do that on my own).

Wow. Wow! Seriously, wow! What a rush!

I'd do it again any time the funds are available! Anyone else wanna come next time!?

I didn't get the pictures this time around, but here are a couple from Melissa's batch.

Melissa ~ Carly ~ Windy ~ Christie ~ Brenda
Here we are just before leaving the hangar, we're dressed up in our finest and ready to rock!

Dennis and myself walking out to the plane. This picture makes me laugh.

And here we are just moments after landing. Notice the smiles on our faces!!

This wouldn't be a complete blog post without at least one actual sky shot of me skydiving. I have a few older pictures from my first dive for your viewing pleasure. But remember, these are just about a year old now.

Classic. I love the look on my face.

I'm free!!! Free fallin'!!

And safely back on the ground.

A note on Dennis who you see in several of the pictures: I adore this man. I hardly know him at all, yet I just adore him. Dennis has been there for all 3 of my dives, my tandem instructor for the first and third, but he was also one of the instructors who jumped with me to make sure things went ok on my own. On that dive I noticed my altimeter was broken while flying up for the jump. I pointed this out to Dennis and he immediately, without hesitation, gave me his altimeter off his own wrist and jumped without one. What a guy. How could I not just adore a guy who has, quite literally, saved my life three times.

For another fabulous post and even more incredible pictures check out Brenda's blog.

____________________

"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward; for there you have been, there you long to return."
-Leonardo da Vinci-

No comments:

Post a Comment