Sunday, October 18, 2009

A Small Chance to Serve

Many women have fabulous talents they use to serve others. Some cook, some make quilts, some make little intricate cards to send to others. Me? I do math. I’ve often wondered how my talents in math can help someone else. I mean, other than what I already do as a math tutor.

Friday I had the chance to volunteer as a math scribe for the University of Washington. One of the students in an upper level math class has a disability which does not allow him to write. Math is full all sorts of odd symbols to make it difficult for anyone to do this job. That’s me and my talents came in quite handy. It was a fun to be able to help him out.

I walked away from this experience with two things on my mind. Number One: I am selfishly ungrateful for my own body. It’s so easy to fall into the trap of thinking about what is wrong with my body when I should be thinking about everything that is right. Number Two: I am highly impressed with this guy for his ambitions and for doing everything he has accomplished. It was a reminder to me that my life is exactly what I choose to make of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment