Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Dang it Carly, I'm a Mathematician, not a Writer!

{said in a Dr. McCoy voice}

I don't recall how it came up, but after mentioning the fact that I have no talent for writing Carly exclaimed, "Yes you do, I know you do, I've read your blog!"

Flattering as this may be, every English professor I've had appears to disagree with you. Perhaps that had to do with the fact I was being forced to write about topics I could care less about. Here I can write what I want. Although I'll stick to being a Mathematician as it's what I do best.

On the subject of my writing I recently stumbled upon my essay for my application to grad school. I think it's funny and I enjoyed writing it. This is for you Carly, and anyone else out there interested in sampling my writing.

__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __

Master Math Geeks


Throughout my undergraduate studies I would look at my geeky mathematics professors and secretly swear to myself that I would never end up like them.


“Does he realize his shirt is only half way tucked in?”


“I didn’t know glasses still came that thick.”


“Bet she hasn’t bought new clothes since 1985!”


Ouch. That was a little too harsh. A few years have gone by and now I look back at those professors with a feeling of hypocrisy as this is everything that I aspire to be. Not a geek exactly, although that title officially came after receiving my bachelor’s degree in mathematics, but a brilliant math professor who inspires students to learn more about such a pure subject.


Mathematics has inspired me to learn and to teach for years already. The other day my mother reminded me that when I was just 8 or 9 years old I would drag my younger siblings into our play room, sit them down in front of the chalk board, and proceed to teach them how to add. I considered this our play time, but looking back, I’m not sure my siblings enjoyed it as much as I did. Now years have passed and I find I am still doing the same thing. After graduating in 2005, I started my own business doing private instruction for mathematics. I primarily work with high school students and a handful of college students as well. I still consider this my “play time” and I enjoy what I do immensely.


Although I enjoy teaching, my real passion lies with math, specifically, applied mathematics. I discovered the subtle differences in these two departments as an undergrad. I found my applied math classes more invigorating. They involved sitting in the computer lab watching models of math problems come to life verses sitting at home working through a proof I was pretty sure someone else had already proved. More than once I found myself saying, “If I were to ever come back for a Masters Degree, it would be in applied mathematics.” I should probably watch what I say, as that will likely prove to be an expensive statement. Nevertheless, the time has come. I am ready to push myself a little more.


I am excited and look forward to the opportunities and flexibility an online degree can offer as I continue with my current career. Even more than this I look forward to one day teaching math at a higher level institution. There I will be able to use the skills I will be acquiring from a Masters Degree in applied mathematics every day. I will secretly enjoy my students chuckling to themselves about how much of a geek their math professor is. Even though I have learned to tuck in my shirt, and instead of thick glasses wear contacts, everyone who knows me will know that I am a math geek—and proud of it!


2 comments:

  1. Windy, I love this.

    Mostly I love the visual of you teaching in front of a higher education classroom - half of your students laughing with you about how 'geeky' math is - the other half secretly in love with you. Seriously - if I had a teacher like you in math when I was in school, I probably would have actually enjoyed it.

    As it is, for me, 2+2 doesn't always equal 4 - and this confuses me to no end.

    But please - for me and fans of math geeks everywhere - on your first day of instruction, wear trousers up to your chest, thick glasses, and maybe like a Mr. Rodgers cardigan.

    Just to throw 'em. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! SEE! I was right, you are a writer : )

    and a mathematician.

    SECRET:

    windy dawn steinkuhler, the english and math and science teachers will strike me dead for unveiling this because they HATE to let this out BUT: you can be good at both writing and math.

    and guess what.
    you are.

    : )



    *whapwiing!*

    whew, see I just dodged a poison dart.

    the teachers are not pleased.


    !If you don't see me on sunday it's because I'm dea-

    ReplyDelete