Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Smith's Luau

Following our visit to Fern Grotto we went next door for our Luau. I mean, you can't go to Hawaii without attending a Luau. Smith's is voted the best on the island, and it was a lot of fun.

Upon entering there was a brief ride around the beautiful garden. We had some time to kill while everyone arrived so we enjoyed walking around the garden and seeing some beautiful sights. We also had the chance to feed the peacocks that were wondering around.



The Luau officially began with the Imu Ceremony.

Here they pulled our dinner, Kalua Pig, out of the ground, or Imu oven.

At the feast we ate tons of delicious food and made friends with the nice couple sitting across from us. We had live Hawaiian music played and even a little Hula training for the kids to participate in.

During dinner, and unbeknownst to me, the man sitting not far away from me tried to hit on me a number of times. Apparently he would look at me and say really loudly, "gosh it was humid today" to try and start a conversation. But I honestly never once heard him. His mother was sitting next to him and would then mutter to him, "say it louder!" so he would, and I continued to miss it the whole time. I didn't find out about this until Andrea and Erica informed me afterward. I thought it was strange how every time I looked in his direction he was staring at me, but he never once said a word when I was looking toward him. I just politely smiled at him and looked away. Go figure, the one guy in all of Hawaii that hits on me turns out to be old and creepy and I don't even catch on until it's all over.

As dinner wound down we headed to the theater for our evening show. Here we saw all the traditional Hawaii dances as well as all related Polynesian dances. This place reminded me a lot of the PCC on Oahu, but smaller. The PCC is definitely cooler, but we still had a lot of fun at this Luau.




No comments:

Post a Comment