I'm only a month behind reporting on my European vacation, but I've finally found the time to share a few things. I've also had the chance to collect a few more photos from friends as well.
Our first stop was Iceland. We arrived in the early hours of the morning, which was late at night for us, to find a very empty town of Reykjavik. We drove all over looking for a place open to grab some breakfast before dropping our belongings off at Our House. After eating some delicious pastries we discovered that the pub scene we'd read so much about was particularly wild the night before and every jail cell in the city was full. Which explains the lack of people out and about that morning.
Our first day in Iceland was packed full. We spent a fair amount of time driving, which I thought was wonderful as it allowed us to see some absolutely stunning scenery around the country. The pictures really do not do it justice.
We drove to Sellfoss to attend Church, they had a small Branch there with about 25 members in attendance. We lucked out and got the Primary program with an American Missionary who volunteered to translate the meeting for us. My favorite part was singing the hymns in Icelandic.
We only stayed for Sacrament Meeting as we had limited amount of daylight in this vast country to see. After church we took off for Gullfoss to see the spectacular falls.
And Geysir, the geyser which all other geysers are named after. It was not as reliable as Strokkur, which was located about 50 yards from it. We saw Strokkur go off a number of times in the short time we stayed there.
The next morning we got started by going to the top of Hallgrimskirkja to see the amazing view of Reykjavik.
Followed by walking all over the actual city of Reykjavik to see the sights and take in the colors.
By this time we were feeling a little hungry and decided to try one of Iceland's favorite foods, the hot dog. If I may be so bold, this was the best hot dog I've had in my entire life. If you go to Iceland only for the hot dogs you will not be let down.
Our last stop on our way back to the airport was the Blue Lagoon. I'm sad to report we did not go swimming once while in Iceland (it is the national pastime after all), but I think I will go back one day to spend more time and to swim. I love to swim.
Next up... London.
No comments:
Post a Comment