Today marks a very big change in my life. For most of my adult life I've attended a Singles Ward for church which allowed me to worship with others in my age range and station in life. There are many good and bad things about a Singles Ward, but overall I've enjoyed it. This is where I've met most of my friends. There is an age limit for these sorts of things and I have passed that age. Today was my official change to a Family Ward.
The change came slightly sooner than planned due to my choosing to accept a calling in this ward. Today I was sustained as the Beehive Advisor. For those who don't know this means I will be working with/ teaching the 12 and 13 year old girls. As much as I do not want to be in a family ward I am looking forward to this calling. The Young Women's program in the church is great, and I'm glad to help out. I remember clearly the YW Leaders I had when I was this age and how they influenced me for good. Now it's my turn to be an influence.
Attending church today was strange. This is a very family oriented church, which is exactly how it should be. But in my case I feel like I don't fit in as I do not have a family of my own. For example I filled out an info sheet about myself for the Relief Society and I was able to skip about one third of the page of questions because they did not apply to me. I have no husband or children or birthdays to share with them. In the lesson we discussed personal prayer and scripture study, and then we discussed family prayer and scripture study. Uh... these are the exact same thing to me. My welcome packet from the RS included a list of young women available for babysitting. Ha. Yeah, I don't fit in. Or rather I fit in better with the Young Women then I do the adults.
Don't get the wrong idea, it isn't all bad. Everyone was super friendly and welcoming today. I'm sure I'll make new friends in this ward. They just won't be ones I hang out with on my Friday nights. The most important thing about this change is that it's right. That part has been made very clear to me right now. It is not currently clear to me how I'll find a way to fit in a ward of families. This is often the Lords way, to not show us everything now but require us to take a few steps of faith to find our way is lit.
I'm proud of you! Such a positive attitude in such a difficult change. God has great plans for you, my friend! This is just one important move in the grand scheme of things. And I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet--I bet you find friends there that you DO hang with on Friday nights. :) I'd ditch the fam to hang with you!
ReplyDeleteNot to mention you're going to be the coolest Beehive Advisor ever! They are so lucky!
ReplyDeleteYou are going to be SO great in YW!!! It'll bring back the good old days in Merrimack!! xoxo
ReplyDeleteHaha, you three are too good to me. Thanks.
ReplyDelete