Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Part 1: Hats


A hat is a head covering. It may be worn for protection against the elements, for religious reasons, for safety, or as a fashion accessory. In the past, hats were an indicator of social status. In the military, they denote rank and regiment.
source

I always say, "I collect hats," primarily because I buy them all the time and then so often forget to wear them. They sit on my hat rack at home where I admire them and wonder when I will wear one again.

Some of them I made:


And some I earned:

B.A. Mathematics

Some are to protect me from my accident-prone tendencies:

Skydiving Helmet

Zipline Tour in the Jungles of Costa Rica

My niece modeling my motorcycle helmet

But most came from my love of trying on hats at every hat store that I pass:






I wear a few other kinds of "hats" with the things I do. While I am at work I put on my 'math teacher hat' to help students understand their homework. This one quickly comes off as I leave so that no one will know what a big geek I am about math.

Other times I wear the 'student hat' while at school, or reading my scriptures.

When I go to our YSA Committee meetings I have a 'hat of leadership' but this hat I am still afraid of and typically hold it instead of wearing it.

The rest of the time is my 'everyday hat' that places me in the role of daughter, sister, or friend.

What hats do you wear?

4 comments:

  1. Your hats are adorable, it makes want to collect hats again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. then we should go hat shopping while you are here on Saturday! we'll get you started ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so I see you ahve a motorcycle helmet, but I don't remember hearing that you'd gotten a motorcycle. Do you just have the "hat" for one? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I own everything I need for a motorcycle... except the actual bike. The good news is that helmet has been used quite a few times anyway.

    I like your way, WW, and marrying a man who already has a motorcycle ;)

    ReplyDelete