Tuesday, July 7, 2009

How many Windy's does it take to change a light bulb?

About a year ago my headlight burnt out and I decided I would replace it on my own (I always use the excuse of “I’m a mathematician, surely I can figure this out!”). So I bought a new headlight, looked up in that little book there to make sure I got the right one, brought it home, read the manual (hey, I am a girl) and attempted to replace the bulb on my own. For whatever reason I could NOT get the connecting cable off the headlight. Even my dad couldn’t get it off… long story short I had to get an oil change in about a week so I just had them do it (and they forgot, so when I pointed it out they were sorry and did it for free). I then had this new headlight that I did not use. I stored it safely in my car knowing I’d eventually need it.


A year has gone by and my other headlight burns out. I once again tell myself, “I can do this… I have a degree in Mathematics” (which by the way, I am aware that math and cars are not the same thing). I pull out the manual again and it tells me this time I’ll need to move the battery over so I can reach in, etc. I even have my own tools to do this with. Not hard. I pull the connecting cable off with no problems this time (much to my relief) and slip the headlight out. I then open my new headlight bulb and attempt to put it in place, but it will NOT fit!! I’m so annoyed at this point. I thought back to when I bought it and was sure I double checked and bought the right bulb. I tried again. I tried forcing it. I tried comparing it to the old bulb, they looked exactly the same to me. I went online and double checked that it was in fact the correct bulb, and it was. This annoyed me. I mean, how hard can it be to change a headlight!? My dad offered to help, but me and my pride refused. I was going to figure this out on my own.

I decided I must have some variation of the bulb or something odd like that so I went back to Shucks and looked through the book again and ended up talking to a guy there about my problem. He offered to come out and take a look for me. And then, because it was obvious to him, he told me my problem was simply that I was attempting to replace the high beam bulb and not the actual headlight bulb. Yeah. All that looking around under the hood and I didn’t notice another bulb just inches away to the one I’d been messing with for so long.

I felt pretty dumb. Thanked the dude. And then replaced the bulb in its proper place with no problems whatsoever.

I’ve always wanted to be a car-savvy chick, but I’m just not. At least I figured it out in the end.

10 comments:

  1. Haha I hate times like that! Those things happen to me far too often. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one of the funniest things i've read in a long time! First of all, never go to Dad with car problems! I love him and all, but he can't even change his wiper blades! Second of all, why didn't you just call ME!? You have a semi car savvy sister right under your nose! Not only do I change all my own bulbs, but I could teach you how to change your oil, your breaks, air filters, etc... Plus, not only do I have my own tools.. but I have my own POWER tools:) Anyway, it should be easier from this point on out. You aren't likely to forget how to do it the right way next time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. as much as most people look up towards their parents for education and knowledge, and as much respect as i have for my parents, windy, why did you ask dad? the amount of things i learned from dad about cars ended at the gas pump.

    i don't claim to know everything, just that i'm a backyard mechanic, but you need to stop wasting your time and money. i know you have my number in your cell phone. when are you going to let me install some fog lights for you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you two READ what I wrote? I only went to dad with a STRENGTH question, not a CAR question. His solution was to take a hammer to it, at which point I told him to back away from my car.

    Sandie, you've never once told me you change your own oil, I didn't know.

    David, help from you always comes at a cost. Besides, I told you long ago I'm not making any modifications to my car until it is paid off. Which will be somewhat soon. So those fog lights are gonna have to wait.

    ReplyDelete
  5. touchy touchy :)

    And you should have guessed that I can change my own oil. First, because I'm simply amazing. Second, because I'm no helpless female;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have me there... you are the least helpless female I've ever met. And simply amazing too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awe, you're pretty amazing too:) I'll teach you how to shoot shot guns and change your oil and stuff if you want! Then you can join me on the 'not so helpless' side of the line!

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha, um thanks, but I can hold my own with shooting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha that first part of the story is exactly what happened to me - having to take my car in for an oil change, and then giving them the screw that i took out while trying to look at the headlight, but i couldn't even get the screw back in because of the angle. i suck.

    but i did replace a taillight one time :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, this is going to get confusing, my posts show up under "steinkuhler" and windy is calling me "david" and then a david makes another post.

    so, help from me comes at a cost? what cost? when we talked about fog lights i told you what they would cost at different stores and what you might pay people to install them. i won't turn down a gratuity, but i wasn't asking for anything. i help people with their cars all the time, ask all my friends.

    dad and his hammer ... scary really.

    ReplyDelete