Saturday, May 15, 2010

I walk alone.

Tonight I attended the adult session of Stake Conference. I don't actually feel as if I'm old enough to attend this, but technically I've been old enough for 12 years now, so I better learn to deal with it. Afterward I was standing in a group talking with a number of guys all of whom I consider my friends. It came time to part ways and we all said bye to each other.

As I walked out the door and headed to my car I suddenly felt uncomfortable. It was dark, very dark as some of the parking lot lights were out. I was alone. My body tensed and I changed into my single-girl-alone-in-a-dark-parking-lot mode. This means full alert with my eyes darting around to take in my surroundings searching the shadows, making sure to make clear eye contact with each individual around me, purse firmly tucked under my arm and my keys already in my hand ready to quickly open my car door so I can climb into safety. Girls, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

I cursed myself for being so stubbornly independent that I did not ask one of those guys to walk me to my car. I was sure it would be an inconvenience to them, so I didn't bother. In a scarier part of town I would have swallowed my pride and asked.

If I could have things the way I want Chivalry would not be dead. Gentleman would think to escort a lady outside in the dark. Among other things.

I'm not writing this to belittle any one of those guys tonight. I think very highly of each of them. I just think guys need an occasional reminder that girls need them. There is no longer a code of Knighthood they are bound to obey, but they do have something more important. The Priesthood. And Heavenly Father would have his daughters looked after.

2 comments:

  1. Windy- thank you for sharing this. As a mother of boys, it's a reminder to me of the many things I need to teach them as they grow into men.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so dark. I don't know why they didn't have the lights on in the parking lot. When I got to the church it was 4 PM and very light outside, so I didn't even expect it.

    Yeah you should definitely just ask - if other guys are anything like me, it doesn't even cross their mind. But I will try to keep it in mind now, ha.

    ReplyDelete