Wednesday, April 24, 2013

More Important Things

I've taken a fair amount of math classes in my life. By the end of my sophomore year in college as a math major I felt I knew exactly what math was. I could never have been more wrong.

My first ever pure math class taught me I had so much more to learn about this subject. It was the first time I truly struggled to understand a math concept. At that time I stumbled upon a quote that resonated with me. I had it printed up and made the cover of my binder for the class. Tonight I found that quote again and remembered just how much I absolutely love mathematics. Thirteen years and three math degrees later I am still as every bit in love with math as I was from the start. And I know I have only begun to scratch the surface of the knowledge of what mathematics really is.


"We have not succeeded in answering all our problems. The answers we have found only serve to raise a whole set of new questions. In some ways we feel we are as confused as ever, but we believe we are confused on a higher level and about more important things."
To those that fear this subject, my heart weeps for you. I wish you could see what I see. For I have been brought to tears in awe of the beauty that is mathematics.


3 comments:

  1. Beautifully said! Math is wonderful! And maybe someday I will even be confused at the level that you are! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, beautifully said! You have an advantage over many people, Windy. Not because you love math, tho' that is an advantage, too --- but because you have found something that you love passionately. And you get to go there every day! Mom

    ReplyDelete