I recently started reading a book called Sorcery and Cecelia or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot and it's started me on a search for my own Chocolate Pot. I never knew such a thing existed and most people I've talked to did not know either. After doing a bit of digging I decided to give my sister Merry a call. As expected she rattled off everything I'd researched off the top of her head, and more. My sister is just that awesome.
I plan to buy myself a chocolate pot, but it will have to wait until I can go back to Europe as I want to buy one over there. In the meantime I've been looking at European styles of hot chocolate to try out. Today was my first experiment and it turned out rather delicious. Thick and sweet like I never knew hot chocolate could be.
Chocolate a la Taza
Chocolatería San Ginés, Madrid, Spain
1/2 cup whole milk
1/4 cup heavy cream
4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped*
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
In a saucepan, combine the mild and cream and heat over medium-low heat until very hot but not boiling. Gradually add the chocolate to the hot liquid, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until the chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is smooth. In a small cup dissolve the cornstarch in a few tablespoons of water. Add the dissolved cornstarch to the chocolate mixture and stir constantly until it is almost as thick as a pudding. Serve immediately in warmed cups.
Makes 2 demitasse servings
*I used Theo's Chocolate
Source: Hot Chocolate by Michael Turback
A few years back Starbucks came out with this new drink called a "chantico". Think of it like this - espresso is to coffee like a chantico is to hot chocolate. It's served in little cups because it's so rich and delicious. Starbucks pulled it from the menu and I've been missing it ever since. I recently found a recipe to make your own chantico. I think I'll give it a try:-) Laurie
ReplyDeletewww.ellenskitchen/recipebox/chantico.html