Sunday, November 7, 2010

Men in the Background

Don’t worry, this post is not about a Korean Drama but it is inspired by one, actually two. This weekend I finished another Drama that I absolutely loved called You’re Beautiful. It has a similar feel to Boys Before Flowers which is another favorite of mine. Coincidently these are the two highest rated Korean Drama’s of all time (according to mysoju.com). The stories are different but they do share a common plot thread of a young guy and girl who slowly begin to fall for each other but have a rocky relationship full of hardships and (dare I say it?) drama. They are the hero and heroine of the story, the reason you watch until the end to make sure they end up together. In the meantime the guy’s best friend falls for the girl and is eventually forced to step aside. It is of this guy, the one in the background, that I wish to point out.


Meet Shinwoo. He is tall and handsome, quiet, pensive, understanding, selfless. He loves Minam and finds himself constantly by her side when she needs help. Minam finds great strength in her friendship with Shinwoo and often calls him “Hyung” meaning big brother.* Although he tries Shinwoo does not win the girl in the end.


Meet Jihoo. He is an introvert who thinks of others before himself. He is kind and loving. He has a quiet strength about him that each of his friends lean on. Jihoo loves Jandi. Through a series of events Jandi has things hard and is often brutally picked on, however each time Jihoo comes and saves the day. Jandi nicknames him her “fireman” since Jihoo is always putting out the fires to save her. Again Jihoo does not win the girl in the end.

Both Shinwoo and Jihoo discover what a treasure their girl is and long before the Hero of the story does. Both save the day countless times. Both provide a shoulder to cry on. Both step aside when the girl chooses to be with someone else. Both endure the pain of a broken heart alone.

So why do I point out these men? Because to me they are the true heroes of the story. They are the ones always there to save the heroine.

The overly dramatic love story of the hero and heroine make for great entertainment and it is why so many people love these shows. However in real life it’s the Shinwoo’s and Jihoo’s that I love and want to be with. They are the men that are kind and loving, thoughtful and understanding. Who wouldn’t want a man who is always there for you, always brightening your day? These are the things every girl says she wants but too often overlooks them and chooses the flashier option.

I wanted to point out the men in the background. These guys deserve to be noticed.

Thinking about my current set of close friends, specifically my male friends, it occurred to me that I would classify each one of them as one of these guys, the real heroes. They are good and honest men who deserve to be noticed. They aren’t necessarily the men that women swoon over, but they are the ones any heroine in her right mind would want to be with.

*A note to those who know a little Korean, Minam is a girl posing as her twin brother which will explain why she uses the name Hyung which is what a guy would call his big brother. As opposed to “oppa” which is what a girl would call her big brother.

2 comments:

  1. I've always been a fan of men in the background. Especially in scriptures

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting that you point that out. I completely agree with you, of course. But have you noticed that same theme in most Korean dramas? The one I just finished had the same character, and the same goes for Michevious Kiss. I guess the thing that gets me, is that they rarely end up with someone in the end. The heart ache is never tied up with a pretty bow at the end.

    Anyhow, that's my observation! :)

    ReplyDelete