Monday, September 13, 2010

"It's because I'm part Icelandic."

A number of years ago I had a home teacher named Josh who is part Chinese and part Icelandic. Whenever Josh did anything particularly impressive or awesome it was always the same excuse, "It's because I'm part Icelandic." Josh can run faster, lift heavy objects, and even drive an awesome car all because he is part Icelandic. (He also minored in math).

I've never given Iceland much thought before, but an opportunity has come for me to visit this interesting country in a couple months. Today I picked up a book at the library about Iceland to learn more about where I'll be going and so far I'm rather impressed. First of all the
swimming pool is sacred in Iceland and the hot tub is the social hub of every town. This sounds like my kind of place! Icelanders are also very proud of their country and can often be heard saying they have 'the best _______ in the world'. I like their attitude.

They have a couple awesome old Icelandic sayings, "If you don't like the weather now, just wait 5 minutes, it'll get worse."

"
Betra er berfættur en bókarlausum að vera." (It's better to be barefoot than bookless.)

Icelanders also believe in the supernatural. In the lava are gnomes, elves, fairies, dwarves, lovelings, mountain spirits, and angles. I don't know what lovelings are, but I'm sure curious to find out!

I'm really excited to see Iceland and swim in their 'hot pots'. I think Josh is right: there is something special about the Icelandic People.

If you still aren't convinced then check out this silly video.
(but a warning to the more innocent of my readers: there is brief nudity)

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you and your trip...and to be perfectly honest, super jealous as well! I look forward to seeing all of your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVELINGS?! I'm really curious, too!

    And I love "it's better to be barefoot than bookless".

    Also: you forgot to mention that the phenomenally epic band Sigur Ros is from Iceland!

    ReplyDelete