The following happened between 10:07pm and 10:27pm tonight.
- the names have been changed to protect the guilty -
{DING!} A text message arrives.
Albert: How are you feeling?
Me to Albert: Sick. Saw the doc this morning, he thinks its strep throat, he put me on a couple meds. :( How are you feeling?
Albert: So-so. Taking things a day at a time. I don’t think I’ll be asking Lily out. I get the impression she is seeing someone. Or subconsciously I’m afraid and looking for a way out. Sorry you have strep.
Weasel: No weezing the juice! Ha ha. Guess which movie im watching?
Me to Weasel: Encino Man, what do I win?
Me to Lily: Are you dating anyone right now?
Weasel: A slurpee! So you can weeze the juice!
Lily: Lol, no.
Me to Albert: I can guarantee Lily is not currently dating anyone. So go for it. No chickening out or you’ll have me to answer to.
This is what went on while chatting with my mother eating "dinner" and avoiding my homework. (Blog post is further avoidance of said homework).
Then it got me thinking. Asking someone out is hard. I did this just a couple weeks ago. I've asked guys out before, and it really doesn't get much easier with practice. My experience reminded me to have a little more sympathy and respect for any guy doing the asking.
Then I thought about Albert, he's a great guy and he's fun to go on a date with too. I know from first hand experience. I'm going to hold him to his idea of asking Lily out on a date. I think they would both have a fun time.
I can't help but wonder if there's some guy out there debating if he should ask me out, but is just a little nervous too. I need a friend like myself to give him a push to just do it.
Perhaps it's Mitchell from church. I've caught him looking at me from across the room a number of times. Mitchell has even walked up to me and looked very much like he wanted to say something, but only managed to get out a whispered 'hi' and kept on walking. He's done this a couple times. I think his shyness is kind of cute, but we'll never become friends if he can't manage to move to the next step and say, 'how are you?'
So here is my advice to guys. I know it's not easy, but suck it up and deal with it. Chances are she'll say yes and you will have a fun time. My personal opinion is every guy deserves a first date. Exceptions to this rule are extremely rare. There is something very attractive about a guy with the guts to ask you out. Guys should know that.

AB-solutely.
ReplyDeleteGuys should also know that to 90% of the female population, confidence in a guy is so much more attractive than physical appearance, what kind of car he drives, his yearly income, whether or not he can beat-box, etc.
Confidence = sexy
And you can be shy and confident. Promise. It's hard to pull off, but if you can swing it - Dang. You've got it made. Because that is sexy.
Also: beat-boxing = NOT SEXY.
Am I still allowed to have opinions on this?