Thursday, December 24, 2009

Getting Crafty with a Mirror

I'm not typically a crafty person. This is primarily due to my lack of time for such endeavors and not a lack of interest. However I am currently on break from both work and school for the Holidays and find myself with extra time and feeling a bit stir crazy. So I’ve kept myself busy with a few projects. Here is the first I did this week. It was my good friend Dr. Erin’s birthday earlier this month. She also is in the process of buying a new home so I thought I’d make her something to put in her new home. Here is what I came up with.


Taking a picture of a mirror is tricky business and these were the two pictures that turned out the best. It began as a regular square mirror. I then designed the border around the edge and etched it into the mirror.


The symbol you see at the top is a Bowl of Hygieia which is often used to represent pharmacy (as Dr. Erin is a doctor of pharmacy). I enjoyed reading up on the pharmacy symbol, Hygieia was the Greek goddess of health, daughter of Asclepius, the god of medicine and healing.

1 comment:

  1. um...AWESOME!!! Windy I almost left without knowing you know how to etch amazingness into mirrors! It's beautiful : )

    I know what we are doing this fall..if you will be my teacher that is. I will call you sensei if you want and you can call me grasshopper...or little cricket...potato bug..

    what other craftsy things do you know?

    ReplyDelete