Saturday, February 5, 2011

clothing the skeleton

Mathematicians often use every-day words to describe something mathy that behaves in a similar way to the every-day word.  I'm not sure if the reason for this is to help others understand or if it's more the sense of humor math people tend to have.  Either way, it sometimes makes for strange phrases in texts.  The following is an excerpt from my text book on chaotic dynamical systems I'm reading right now.

"However, if the attractor of the skeleton is non-hyperbolic, the long-run dynamical behavior of the skeleton may differ drastically from that resulting from clothing the skeleton with dynamic noise no matter how small the noise is."


I think it's the sense of humor.  


For those interested the authors use of these particular terms are... 
Skeleton = an equation containing on the 'bare bones' of it's essence, in other words it only contains the most important structural pieces defining what it is
Noise = extra distracting stuff (that's a loose definition)
Attractor = an area or region that everyone naturally flows to

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Windy!

    I've been enjoying catching up on everything you've been up to! I think it's been about three years since I've seen you last! Hope all is well!!

    -TD
    myerlife.com

    ReplyDelete